Thursday Edition of the Falcon News
December 7, 2017
“We will go up to the house of the Lord”
Congratulations to our Spelling Bee winner, 5th grader Julianne Welborn; runner up 5th grader Kendall Dupree; and third place 8th grader Jacob Trombetta! Congratulations to all our spellers – it was a wonderful Spelling Bee!
Notice to all families:
- Due to some issues in the K4B (Ms. Neely’s) house, we will need to move the K4B class to the former K5B house starting January 3, 2018. Mrs. Neely and Mrs. Murray will still be the teachers. We will be looking into repairs that would not be possible with students in the house. This move will increase the number of cars during morning carpool on the parking lot side. Please be patient.
- Starting Monday, December 11, 2017 the school and church will be having a new roof installed – our area is over the office and the first and second grade hall areas. We will be assisting with carpool to ensure safety during this process. In addition, if it gets too loud in classrooms, teachers will make adjustments.
- Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot starting Friday, December 8, 2017 as our teachers need to park in those spots. Thanks!
- Are you in town December 24, 2017? Father Long is asking for assistance to decorate the church for Christmas. If interested, please come to 11:00AM Mass and stay after to assist. Father Long thinks with many hands it will only take about an hour. The more the merrier!
- Friday, December 8, 2017 School Mass – Holy Day. There will be a collection during the school mass. If you want your child to give, please put money in an envelope or bag so they can give
As we continue into the Advent season, St. Joseph Catholic School “lives our vision” through service projects that assist our community. Please see two service projects we are working on in December and for the school year!
SERVICE PROJECT FOR DECEMBER:
- Our Colonies are gearing up for a school-wide December Charity. St. Vincent De Paul provided SJS with the names of 15 families and their wish lists. Each Colony has a family or two to support with gift items and our staff, student council, NJHS, and Cheer also are working to fill a family’s wishes! We will also get stockings for each family member to spread a little cheer from SJS. Please look for an email from your Colony leader asking for donations. You can donate an item, a gift card, or money to purchase gift cards and/or gifts. Any amount assists the families. Thank you in advance for your support as we support St. Vincent De Paul and families in the community.
December 8, 2017 – School Mass – 8:15 AM – Holy Day
December 11-14, 2017 – 8th grade mid-terms (Monday – Math – in the FLC; Tuesday – Science – in the FLC; Wednesday – ELA and History; Thursday – Religion and Spanish)
December 13, 2017 – Spirit Shirt day with uniform bottoms
December 14, 2017 – K-Village (K3, K4, K5) Performance – 8:15 in the gym
December 15, 2017 – School Mass 8:15 AM; announce 5th and 8th grade Students of the Year for SJS; grades 3-8 Penance service after Mass
December 18, 2017 – School Mass 8:15 AM – uniforms
December 19, 2017 – Christmas/holiday T-shirt/shirt (or nice shirt/sweater) with jeans ($1) or nice pants/shorts ($3) -money used to support St. Vincent De Paul families – SJS is supporting 15 families through our Colonies!
December 19, 2017 – St. Joseph Catholic Church Tapestry at 7:00 PM – Middle School Students singing – please join the church for a wonderful performance!
December 20, 2017 – Middle School Production 8:30 AM in the gym – “Heaven and Nature Sing”
December 20, 2017 – ½ day of school; release 11:00 K3, K4, and K5; release 11:30 – 1-8th grade; NO After School Care
December 21, 2017 – January 2, 2018 – Christmas and New Year Holidays!
January 3, 2018 – Back to School – start of the second semester of school year 2017-2018!
YEARBOOK ORDERS – MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE
Did you complete the “Calendar” survey? We received 240 responses and the results show that the majority would like to keep the start of school similar to this current school year. Comments from many indicate that you would like us to follow the Caddo calendar as much as possible.
We will be working on the calendar in January and we will report after our planning sessions! Here is a link to a summary of the survey responses:https://drive.google.com/file/d/14PnqRUjb0BCaIXxWl005KqL1VpbcCWGn/view?usp=sharing
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook! E-mail Greg Beauclair, Director of Marketing at email@example.com with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUS Bulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.