Monday, March 12, 2018
Falcon News Email
Joyful praise in Lent? I’m not sure I always feel that.
I ask you to help me prepare to understand and embrace the paschal mystery in my life.
I don’t always see the beauty and mystery of this season and often I run from the pain.
Help me to see how your saving grace and your loving touch in my life can fill me with joyful praise of the salvation you have sent to me.
Let’s support St. Vincent De Paul this week, March 11-16, 2018 by bringing in can goods. Each can good will be a Colony point; a great way to give during Lent.
Friday, March 16, 2018 Mass at 8:15am and reconciliation immediately following for grades 3-8. Remember, Knights of Columbus Fish Fry and PTO Bingo starting at 5:30pm!
****NOTICE*****CHANGE IN CALENDAR*****MARCH 23****
On March 23, 2018 we will release early – after we feed the students lunch. School will start at 7:45am – lunch will be the same for grades K3-5; middle school will eat 30 minutes early and then release:
- K3, K4, and K5 release at 12:00noon
- Grades 1-8 release at 12:30pm
- Teachers will participate in a professional development after the students leave
Please plan now as there will be NO After School Care.
Would you like a chance to win Tuition for a year? Purchase your tickets now – winner drawn at Field Day, April 27, 2018
- Tuition Raffle of School Year 2018-2019 – $20 a ticket! See form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VTFhVNWp6SDhHV1pfR1o4aXltN2pPR1BDMWFJ/view?usp=sharing
REGISTRATION FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019
Register now for school year 2018-2019. Early registration fees are in effect – cost goes up April 1, 2018. If your family might need financial assistance, you MUST register in TADS and indicate this prior to March 31, 2018. Early registration assists with scheduling and planning for next school year – please begin your registration now. New things for next school year include Kindergarten students attending full day and middle school students will be given choices for their enrichments! More details coming for school year 2018-2019!
Sunday March 18, 2018 – St. Joseph Altar – students needed to assist with hospitality, elderly and young families, cleaning tables and emptying. Below is the schedule of work shifts
- 1st – 10:15am – 12:30pm
- 2nd – 12:30pm – 2:00pm
- 3rd – 2:00 pm – 4:00pm
- 4th – 4:00pm- till… Clean up and take down
Workers should report to staff at the Family Life Center, 211 Atlantic Avenue, they will be given a badge to wear while they are volunteering and the Service Hour Sheets will be mailed out the next week to their adviser.
Summer Camp for students in K3-K5
Join Ms. Neely and Ms. Nolen for some summer fun! See information and registration packet at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UYvHJH5YdSB_NfSzrq8CImW4203KZqZv/view?usp=sharing
St. Jude Math-a-thon March 7-14, 2018.
Our school is hosting the St. Jude Math-A-Thon. It begins March 7, 2018 and ends on Pi-Day, March 14, 2018. Students will be solving math problems and asking for pledges to assist children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. St. Jude has made a user-friendly site to help gather donations online by visiting http://fundraising.stjude.org/StJosephCatholicSchool. Help us reach our goal, and you can earn prizes!
St. Jude is special to St. Joseph Catholic School because they have helped one of our own families: John Claude Nelson in K5. In 2014, John Claude (then 3 years old) was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). He traveled to St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis, TN for treatment. Your fundraising efforts support St. Jude in its lifesaving mission: Finding Cures! Saving Children!
Here is a link to the packet students may bring home from school: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ohjM8_GJfQ57FrASnLm-1Df_3js8bviN/view?usp=sharing
SAVE THE DATE
Ø Wednesday – Wednesday March 7-14, 2018 – St. Jude Math-A-Thon
Ø Tuesday March 13, 2018 – PTO Meeting starting at 6pm in the cafeteria
Ø Wednesday March 14, 2018 – PI Day – a fun day of Math using PI! Students will get a treat at lunch and then end the day with PI activities!
Ø Thursday March 15, 2018 – 3rd – 5th grade Performance – come watch as they sing around the world – at 8:15am
Ø Friday March 16, 2018 – Knights of Columbus Fish Fry with BINGO in the gym! Join us for a fish dinner and to play some Bingo! Starts at 5:30pm
Ø Monday-Friday March 11-16, 2018 Can food drive for St. Vincent De Paul (Colony points awarded plus a Colony will win a donut party)
Ø Sunday – March 18, 2018 – St. Joseph Altar – in the Family Life Center after Mass
Ø Monday – March 19, 2018 – St. Joseph Day – Mass at 8:15am where we will honor our Fathers. There will be activities in the classrooms all day; special lunch in the cafeteria with dessert in the Family Life Center. All families welcomed!
Ø Saturday April 14, 2018 – PTO first – Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance! We hope you can make it and your date is ready to dance with you! More details coming soon – mark your calendar for an evening of fun!
Ø Friday April 20, 2018 –PTO Movie Night (rescheduled) – more details later!
WEDNESDAY FOLDER FLYERS
Did you get the flyers from the PTO and school on Wednesday of last week? If not, please see them here:
- PI Day – March 14, 2018 (remember 3.1415. . . ) Fun day of activities in all grade levels! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yE0XRhE28-cFFx_ZgqTMO1sDVIRadep2/view?usp=sharing
- Fish Fry and Bingo Night March 16, 2018 – come join the Knights of Columbus and PTO for an evening – purchase your fish dinner and/or come play Bingo! Join the fun and win a prize or two! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Frsyencez4GnU2Z8k8wkbQmASFrrpNYj/view?usp=sharing
- Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance – April 14, 2018 from 6-8pm https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5D6H5rBhlbnQCcu9IflIXMIQSBiWy1L/view?usp=sharing
- Do you like Maroon 5? Would you like a chance to win tickets? See the order form to enter drawing for 4 tickets plus lodging: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdPFtVZJkLhif2L0KP0na5qaukXHwk_u/view?usp=sharing
- Kindergarten Mud Day, April 20, 2018 for our K5 students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jERX4v-HC_4ei_n1SkuE6Bs-3bLa-kjJ/view?usp=sharing
Reminder – Carpool Directions are in place for safety. Use crosswalks! Please make sure you driving correctly as your drop off and pick up your children. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcQeFL3x4mlkCIZW73pDqK5NGAx1UOHT/view?usp=sharing
SCHOOL LUNCH REMINDER
IT”S NEVER TOO LATE… It’s never too late within the school year to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; applications are being accepted. If your family income has been adversely affected by the economy, please pickup a Free & Reduced Meal Application in your school office. Or contact Associate Superintendent, Sr. Ann Middlebrooks, SEC (318) 219-7298.
Notice to all families: Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot as our teachers need to park in those spots! Please use the church lot when picking up students. Thanks!
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook!E-mail Dr. McGimsey (email@example.com) with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUSBulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.
Announcement from the Diocese of Shreveport
The Diocese of Shreveport has set up an anonymous and completely confidential phone line for you to report instances of known or suspected misuse of parish, school or diocesan assets including fraud, excessive waste or abuse. The number is (318) 219-7222. This line goes directly to a voicemail that is addressed only to Bishop Duca. Call this number to report incidents and be assured that Bishop Duca will act on the information in a confidential manner to make positive changes.
Asbestos containing building materials are located within St. Joseph Catholic School. In their present condition, they present no hazard to school occupants. An Asbestos Management Plan has been developed to prevent the asbestos from becoming a hazard, and you may find this document on file in the school office. The plan is available for inspection upon request and appointment.
IPM Program – St. Joseph Catholic School participates in the Louisiana Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Please contact the school office if your child is hypersensitive to standard pest control products.