Monday, February 19, 2018
Falcon News Email
Loving God, you call us back to you with all of our hearts.
I feel your call for me deep in my heart and I know you want me back
as much as I want to return. Please, Lord, give me the wisdom to know how to return.
Make my journey back to you this Lent one of grace, forgiveness and gentle love.
Reminder – Carpool Directions are in place for safety. Please make sure you driving correctly as your drop off and pick up your children. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcQeFL3x4mlkCIZW73pDqK5NGAx1UOHT/view?usp=sharing
Please keep the families and community from last week’s tragedy in your prayers. Here is a letter from the Diocese about safety: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VYXNFRG5hcUtzTnVEdWVnWXBBMHhSNVlCQVEw/view?usp=sharing
****Spirit Shirt with uniform bottoms – Wednesday, February 21, 2018****
REGISTRATION FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019
Register now for school year 2018-2019. Early registration fees are in effect – cost goes up April 1, 2018. If your family might need financial assistance, you MUST indicate this in TADs prior to March 31, 2018.
Early registration assists with scheduling and planning for next school year – please begin your registration now. New things for next school year include Kindergarten students attending full day and middle school students having some choices for their enrichments! More details coming for school year 2018-2019!
Hey, have you seen the raffle and contests ongoing at SJS – read about them and we hope many participate!
- Tuition Raffle of School Year 2018-2019 – $20 a ticket! See form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VTFhVNWp6SDhHV1pfR1o4aXltN2pPR1BDMWFJ/view?usp=sharing
- Crawfish Crawl Contest – if you sign up to be part of the Crawfish Crawl put your child’s homeroom on the registration or send in confirmation from on-line and so your child’s homeroom can win a popsicle or popcorn treat!!!!
Are you a runner? Are you a walker? Not a runner or walker?
No matter your running/walking style, plan to attend the PTO 4th Annual Crawfish Crawl on March 3, 2018. We will have a 1 mile fun run for children and a 5K and 10K route. Link to registration form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2ValRNdExmYm8yYmJoczZ3MjZBSHMteGdhRU9r/view?usp=sharing All funds will go to support renovations around campus. Plan to attend to enjoy some fun, maybe run or walk, and meet other SJS families and friends in the community!
SCHOOL LUNCH REMINDER
IT”S NEVER TOO LATE… It’s never too late within the school year to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; applications are being accepted. If your family income has been adversely affected by the economy, please pickup a Free & Reduced Meal Application in your school office. Or contact Associate Superintendent, Sr. Ann Middlebrooks, SEC (318) 219-7298.
- Boys basketball game Wednesday February 21, 2018 versus Southfield – 5th grade plays at 6pm; 7th grade plays at 7pm; and 8th grade plays at 8pm! Let’s Go Falcons!
Lent is a very special season in the Catholic Church, and we want to share with you a way we can share this special time with all of our SJS families. Click on this link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHBfZ9EAAnDFdOYwOTeV0PsRp2YgQ2x/view?usp=sharing) to read a letter about a Lenten service project to benefit Catholic Relief Services (CRS).
Please visit the CRS rice bowl website – https://www.crsricebowl.org/. This site has recipes for meatless meals, reflections, and stories of hope from those who have been blessed by CRS and their donors. Our hope is that you and your family can experience a more meaningful Lenten season and grow in your faith, as we hope to do as a school family. As always, thank you for choosing St. Joseph Catholic School!
STATIONS OF THE CROSS– After 8:15 Masses during Lent
During Lent, our students will have an opportunity to participate in Stations of the Cross. Family members are invited to join us. Here is the schedule by grade levels:
- February 23, 2018 – after 8:15am mass – grades K5-2nd
- March 2, 2018 – after 8:15am mass – grades 3-5
- March 9, 2018 – after 8:15am mass – grades 6-8
Parents, we sent home the Touching Safety Opt-Out Form (K5-8th). Please return this form “ONLY” if you want your child to NOT participate. The program will be taking place during religion classes. Here is a link to the information: Protecting God’s Children’s Teaching Touching Safety – A Guide for Parents, Guardians, and Other Caring Adults: https://www.virtusonline.org/educators/TeachingTouchingSafety.pdf
SAVE THE DATE FOR PTO EVENTS
March 3, 2018 – Crawfish Crawl – sign up now to run, walk, or just attend (or attend virtually but you supported the PTO and the school) – see below for more details
March 16, 2018 – Knights of Columbus Fish Fry with BINGO in the gym! Join us for a fish dinner and to play some Bingo! Starts at 5:30pm
April 14, 2018 – Our first – Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance! We hope you can make it and your date is ready to dance with you! More details coming soon – mark your calendar for an evening of fun!
April 20, 2018 – Movie Night (rescheduled) – more details later!
2018 READ ACROSS AMERICA WEEK – See our list of events for the week of February 26-March 2, 2018 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VRUVxbWVRYWkxSVFaTW5DLTExRF84Wk1STWZr/view?usp=sharing
Notice to all families: Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot as our teachers need to park in those spots! Please use the church lot when picking up students. Thanks!
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook!E-mail Dr. McGimsey (email@example.com) with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUSBulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.
Announcement from the Diocese of Shreveport
The Diocese of Shreveport has set up an anonymous and completely confidential phone line for you to report instances of known or suspected misuse of parish, school or diocesan assets including fraud, excessive waste or abuse. The number is (318) 219-7222. This line goes directly to a voicemail that is addressed only to Bishop Duca. Call this number to report incidents and be assured that Bishop Duca will act on the information in a confidential manner to make positive changes.
Asbestos containing building materials are located within St. Joseph Catholic School. In their present condition, they present no hazard to school occupants. An Asbestos Management Plan has been developed to prevent the asbestos from becoming a hazard, and you may find this document on file in the school office. The plan is available for inspection upon request and appointment.
IPM Program – St. Joseph Catholic School participates in the Louisiana Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Please contact the school office if your child is hypersensitive to standard pest control products.