Monday, April 9, 2018
Falcon News Email
“If I scale the heavens you are there, if I lie flat in Sheol, there you are. If I speed away on the wings of the dawn, if I dwell beyond the ocean, even there your hand will be guiding me, your right hand holding me fast.” Psalm 139:8-10
We begin our last 7 weeks of the school year. Included in our email messages are the many events happening during these last weeks. Please note the items and as best we can, we provide the times so you can plan! Every Monday and Thursday we will update our list. We hope many of you can attend our fun events!
DID YOU KNOW?
- We have a raffle for free tuition – tickets are only $20. PTO has a Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance on Saturday, April 14 – get your tickets for $10 now and $15 at the door! What about Maroon 5 Concert in New Orleans plus free lodging – raffle for this also! See below for more details and forms!
- The 4th graders dress up as a person/animal, location, or artifact from American History and if you join them at the “Living Museum” Tuesday, April 10, 2018, you can learn all about what they are and some interesting tidbits! Hope you can join us in the Family Life Center – 9:45-11:30am; 1:00-3:00pm; and 5:30-7:00pm.
- PTO Meeting, Tuesday April 10, 2018 starting at 6:00pm in the cafeteria. See the Living Museum and attend the PTO meeting!
- SJS went through their accreditation in 2016. At the end of the accreditation visit, the team left SJS with three main areas we had to improve. We will be sending our documentation along with evidence to AdvancED by May 1, 2018. Please read about all the great things happening at SJS that we are showcasing for AdvancED! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iEvJs9dThY-zyJL-JJDhfDG18iNyw_Ve/view?usp=sharing
- 72% of our students in grades 1-8 made Honor Roll for the third quarter of school year 2017-2018 – way to go Falcons! Keep working – 34 more days until summer break!
- SJS has many opportunities for families to assist the school through many venues: Kroger Rewards Card (shop at Kroger’s and use your reward card and make sure you selected SJS in your profile so a percentage is given back to the school); AmazonSmile (shop through AmazonSmile and a percentage is given back to SJS); and you can always give through our Annual Fund!
- Students in grades 3-8 will be taking the ACT Aspire April 23-26, 2018. The grade levels will be paired with a lower grade (K3-2nd) for support and encouragement! More details coming in the Wednesday folder this week!
- If you want to order Spring pictures (proofs went home already), you MUST send them back to the school by Wednesday April 11, 2018.
- There is a School Council Town Hall meeting scheduled for April 23, 2018 at 6pm. An email was sent out asking for questions. Please make sure your questions are sent to Ms. Henley Hernandez by Friday April 13, 2018.
REMINDER – REGISTRATION FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019 is ongoing. Some classes are starting to fill up – ensure your child has a seat for August 13, 2018!
- Early registration assists with scheduling and planning for next school year – please begin your registration now.
- New things for next school year include Kindergarten students attending full day and middle school students will be given choices for their enrichments! More details coming for school year 2018-2019!
|DID YOU ORDER A YEARBOOK? DON’T MISS OUT – YEARBOOK SALES – FINAL CALL! Make sure to order ASAP to guarantee your child has a yearbook! “Order before it is too late!” CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED ›|
- Would you like a chance to win Tuition for a year? Purchase your tickets now – winner drawn at Field Day, April 27, 2018 – – – Tuition Raffle of School Year 2018-2019 – $20 a ticket – over 1/3 of the tickets sold towards awarding of the raffle – get your tickets now! UPDATED FORM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJKowGAo0-0YFPf-wIxP0UkTafl53h4c/view?usp=sharing
- Do you like Maroon 5? Would you like a chance to win tickets? See the order form to enter drawing for 4 tickets plus lodging: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdPFtVZJkLhif2L0KP0na5qaukXHwk_u/view?usp=sharing
EVENTS – MEETINGS – DRESS DAYS – ETC.
CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES AND DETAILS FOR MANY ITEMS!
- April 10, 2018 – PTO Meeting at 6:00pm – come to hear about great PTO events and vote on some items. Your PTO President, Mrs. McCormick looks forward to seeing you there!
- April 10, 2018 – 4th Grade Living Museum – during the school day (9:45-11am and 1:00-3:00pm) and evening (5:30-7:00pm) in the Family Life Center. Come and enjoy this great event as the students tell you who they represent and key facts that they researched!
- April 11, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- April 12, 2018 – 2nd Grade Vocabulary Parade – come see our second graders share information about their vocabulary words!
- April 13, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- Saturday April 14, 2018 – PTO Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance from 6-8pm. We hope you can make it and your date is ready to dance with you! TOMORROW IS LAST DAY -See the flyer to sign up now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5D6H5rBhlbnQCcu9IflIXMIQSBiWy1L/view?usp=sharing. You can purchase tickets at the door for $15. Thank you Maria Sermons for helping PTO and chairing this event and all of her volunteers!!
- April 18, 2018 – 4th Quarter Progress Reports go home
- April 18, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- April 20, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- April 20, 2018 Kindergarten Mud Day – K5 students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jERX4v-HC_4ei_n1SkuE6Bs-3bLa-kjJ/view?usp=sharing
- April 20, 2018 –PTO Movie Night (rescheduled) – 5:30pm start with treats – a “candy necklace” station – for a $1. Movie starts at 6:00pm! Movie name coming soon – all concessions will be a $1. Come enjoy a movie with your family and friends – wear favorite slippers, PJ’s, and bring blankets and pillows!
- April 23-26, 2018 – ACT Aspire Assessment – Grades 3-8
- April 23, 2018 – Mass 8:15am (different day due to Field Day) – uniforms for all
- April 26, 2018 – replaced “dress down day” – $3 or $1 for jeans – funds support EOY Carnival
- April 27, 2018 – Field Day – 7:45am to 12:00 noon; no After School Care – at Messmer Field
- May 2, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 3, 2018 – Sports Banquet – at Eastridge! More details coming.
- May 4, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- May 6th, 2018 – First Communion Weekend – 12:00noon Mass
- May 8, 2018 – PTO Meeting at 6:00pm
- May 9, 2018 – Dress Down Day $3 or $1 for Jeans – funds go to support EOY Carnival
- May 7-11, 2018 – Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 11, 2018 – Mass 8:15 – Mother’s Day Mass
- May 11, 2018 – K3, K4, K5 Musical after Mass in the gym (more details soon)
- May 12, 2018 – Confirmation (more details soon)
- May 14–17, 2018 – 8th Grade Finals
- May 16, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 18, 2018 – 8th grade final day; EOY Carnival for all students plus special events for 8th graders
- May 23, 2018 – 8th grade graduation 5:00-7:00pm (note the time)
- May 23, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 24, 2018 – K5 graduation at 8:00 am
- May 24, 2018 – Academic Awards at 2:15pm
- May 25, 2018 – last day of school – ½ day; no After School Care
- Summer Camp for students in K3-K5 Join Ms. Neely and Ms. Nolen for some summer fun! See information and registration packet at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UYvHJH5YdSB_NfSzrq8CImW4203KZqZv/view?usp=sharing
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) – June 25-29, 2018 – contact the church office for more details
Reminder – Carpool Directions are in place for safety. Use crosswalks! Please make sure you driving correctly as your drop off and pick up your children. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcQeFL3x4mlkCIZW73pDqK5NGAx1UOHT/view?usp=sharing
SCHOOL LUNCH REMINDER
IT”S NEVER TOO LATE… It’s never too late within the school year to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; applications are being accepted. If your family income has been adversely affected by the economy, please pickup a Free & Reduced Meal Application in your school office. Or contact Associate Superintendent, Sr. Ann Middlebrooks, SEC (318) 219-7298.
Notice to all families: Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot as our teachers need to park in those spots! Please use the church lot when picking up students. Thanks!
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook!E-mail Dr. McGimsey (email@example.com) with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUSBulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.
Announcement from the Diocese of Shreveport
The Diocese of Shreveport has set up an anonymous and completely confidential phone line for you to report instances of known or suspected misuse of parish, school or diocesan assets including fraud, excessive waste or abuse. The number is (318) 219-7222. This line goes directly to a voicemail that is addressed only to Bishop Duca. Call this number to report incidents and be assured that Bishop Duca will act on the information in a confidential manner to make positive changes.
Asbestos containing building materials are located within St. Joseph Catholic School. In their present condition, they present no hazard to school occupants. An Asbestos Management Plan has been developed to prevent the asbestos from becoming a hazard, and you may find this document on file in the school office. The plan is available for inspection upon request and appointment.
IPM Program – St. Joseph Catholic School participates in the Louisiana Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Please contact the school office if your child is hypersensitive to standard pest control products.