Monday, April 2, 2018
Falcon News Email
You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
We hope all families enjoyed Easter, had a restful spring break and ready to be back tomorrow morning. With 8 weeks remaining in school year 2017-2018 we have listed many events and activities in our email message to assist with planning! Watch for our Monday and Thursday emails plus information in Wednesday folders as we finalize many events and provide updates.
REMINDER: REGISTRATION FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019 is ongoing and Early Registration has been extended until April 6, 2018! If your family might need financial assistance, you MUST register in TADS and indicate this prior to April 6, 2018. Early registration assists with scheduling and planning for next school year – please begin your registration now. New things for next school year include Kindergarten students attending full day and middle school students will be given choices for their enrichments! More details coming for school year 2018-2019!
- Would you like a chance to win Tuition for a year? Purchase your tickets now – winner drawn at Field Day, April 27, 2018 – – – Tuition Raffle of School Year 2018-2019 – $20 a ticket! See form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VTFhVNWp6SDhHV1pfR1o4aXltN2pPR1BDMWFJ/view?usp=sharing
- Do you like Maroon 5? Would you like a chance to win tickets? See the order form to enter drawing for 4 tickets plus lodging: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdPFtVZJkLhif2L0KP0na5qaukXHwk_u/view?usp=sharing
EVENTS – MEETINGS – DRESS DAYS – ETC.
CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES AND DETAILS FOR MANY ITEMS!
- April 4, 2018 – 5th Grade Brunch & DARE Graduation Parent Meeting at 5:30pm – see flyer that went home with students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T6YMv95R5Kf1Euv9Ekdo1Fjf09deU-VA/view?usp=sharing
- April 6, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- April 6, 2018 – Middle School “Career Day” – 9:30-11:00am! Middle school students will get a chance to learn about different careers that might spark their interests as they prepare for their futures!
- April 10, 2018 – PTO Meeting at 6:00pm – come to hear about great PTO events
- April 10, 2018 – 4th Grade Living Museum – during the school day and evening (time TBD) in the Family Life Center. Come and enjoy this great event as the students tell you who they represent and key facts that they researched!
- April 11, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- April 12, 2018 – 2nd Grade Vocabulary Parade – come see our second graders share information about their vocabulary words!
- April 13, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- Saturday April 14, 2018 – PTO Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance from 6-8pm. We hope you can make it and your date is ready to dance with you! See the flyer to sign up now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5D6H5rBhlbnQCcu9IflIXMIQSBiWy1L/view?usp=sharing
- April 18, 2018 – 4th Quarter Progress Reports go home
- April 18, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- April 20, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- April 20, 2018 Kindergarten Mud Day – K5 students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jERX4v-HC_4ei_n1SkuE6Bs-3bLa-kjJ/view?usp=sharing
- April 20, 2018 –PTO Movie Night (rescheduled) – more details later!
- April 23-26, 2018 – ACT Aspire Assessment – Grades 3-8
- April 23, 2018 – Mass 8:15am (different day due to Field Day) – uniforms for all
- April 26, 2018 – replaced “dress down day” – $3 or $1 for jeans – funds support EOY Carnival
- April 27, 2018 – Field Day – 7:45am to 12:00 noon; no After School Care – at Messmer Field
- May 2, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 3, 2018 – Sports Banquet – more details soon
- May 4, 2018 – Mass at 8:15am
- May 5th/6th, 2018 – First Communion Weekend
- May 8, 2018 – PTO Meeting at 6:00pm
- May 9, 2018 – Dress Down Day $3 or $1 for Jeans – funds go to support EOY Carnival
- May 7-11, 2018 – Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 11, 2018 – Mass 8:15 – Mother’s Day Mass
- May 11, 2018 – K3, K4, K5 Musical after Mass in the gym (more details soon)
- May 12, 2018 – Confirmation (more details soon)
- May 14–17, 2018 – 8th Grade Finals
- May 16, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 18, 2018 – 8th grade final day; EOY Carnival for all students plus special events for 8th graders
- May 23, 2018 – 8th grade graduation at 5:30pm
- May 23, 2018 – Spirit Shirt Day with uniform bottoms
- May 24, 2018 – K5 graduation at 8:00 am
- May 24, 2018 – Academic Awards at 2:15pm
- May 25, 2018 – last day of school – ½ day; no After School Care
- Summer Camp for students in K3-K5 Join Ms. Neely and Ms. Nolen for some summer fun! See information and registration packet at this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UYvHJH5YdSB_NfSzrq8CImW4203KZqZv/view?usp=sharing
- Vacation Bible School (VBS) – June 25-29, 2018 – contact the church office for more details
Reminder – Carpool Directions are in place for safety. Use crosswalks! Please make sure you driving correctly as your drop off and pick up your children. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcQeFL3x4mlkCIZW73pDqK5NGAx1UOHT/view?usp=sharing
SCHOOL LUNCH REMINDER
IT”S NEVER TOO LATE… It’s never too late within the school year to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; applications are being accepted. If your family income has been adversely affected by the economy, please pickup a Free & Reduced Meal Application in your school office. Or contact Associate Superintendent, Sr. Ann Middlebrooks, SEC (318) 219-7298.
Notice to all families: Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot as our teachers need to park in those spots! Please use the church lot when picking up students. Thanks!
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook!E-mail Dr. McGimsey (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUSBulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.
Announcement from the Diocese of Shreveport
The Diocese of Shreveport has set up an anonymous and completely confidential phone line for you to report instances of known or suspected misuse of parish, school or diocesan assets including fraud, excessive waste or abuse. The number is (318) 219-7222. This line goes directly to a voicemail that is addressed only to Bishop Duca. Call this number to report incidents and be assured that Bishop Duca will act on the information in a confidential manner to make positive changes.
Asbestos containing building materials are located within St. Joseph Catholic School. In their present condition, they present no hazard to school occupants. An Asbestos Management Plan has been developed to prevent the asbestos from becoming a hazard, and you may find this document on file in the school office. The plan is available for inspection upon request and appointment.
IPM Program – St. Joseph Catholic School participates in the Louisiana Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Please contact the school office if your child is hypersensitive to standard pest control products.