Friday March 2, 2018
Falcon News Email
Loving God, Caring parent, I am a child who so often turns my back
on your love. Please accept my small acts of sorrow today
and help to release me from the self-absorption that closes my heart to you.
As I journey through Lent, let me remember the feast you have prepared for me
in the resurrection and let me be filled with thanks to you.
Happy Friday – a Friday Special Falcon News!
Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss
“And will you succeed?Yes you will indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed!)”
Today, Friday, March 2, 2018 – 8:15 Mass with Stations of the Cross with our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Please join us for Mass and Stations of the Cross.
SATURDAY IS THE BIG DAY – OUR 4TH ANNUAL CRAWFISH CRAWL! You can still register up to the running of the race! If you cannot be here, you can still support the PTO by registering! We look forward to a great run – the weather is going to be great! See you there!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2ValRNdExmYm8yYmJoczZ3MjZBSHMteGdhRU9r/view?usp=sharing All funds will go to support renovations around campus. Plan to attend to enjoy some fun, maybe run or walk, and meet other SJS families and friends in the community!
Reminder – Carpool Directions are in place for safety. Please make sure you driving correctly as your drop off and pick up your children. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zcQeFL3x4mlkCIZW73pDqK5NGAx1UOHT/view?usp=sharing
SAVE THE DATE FOR PTO EVENTS
March 3, 2018 – Crawfish Crawl – sign up now to run, walk, or just attend (or attend virtually but you supported the PTO and the school) – see below for more details
Sunday – March 18, 2018 – St. Joseph Altar – in the Family Life Center after Mass
Monday – March 19, 2018 – St. Joseph Day – we will have activities all day at school and enjoy a meal of pasta – more details coming!
March 16, 2018 – Knights of Columbus Fish Fry with BINGO in the gym! Join us for a fish dinner and to play some Bingo! Starts at 5:30pm
April 14, 2018 – Our first – Mother/Son and Father/Daughter Dance! We hope you can make it and your date is ready to dance with you! More details coming soon – mark your calendar for an evening of fun!
April 20, 2018 – Movie Night (rescheduled) – more details later!
REGISTRATION FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019
Register now for school year 2018-2019. Early registration fees are in effect – cost goes up April 1, 2018. If your family might need financial assistance, you MUST register in TADS and indicate this prior to March 31, 2018.
Early registration assists with scheduling and planning for next school year – please begin your registration now. New things for next school year include Kindergarten students attending full day and middle school students will be given choices for their enrichments! More details coming for school year 2018-2019!
Hey, have you seen the raffle and contests ongoing at SJS – read about them and we hope many participate!
- Tuition Raffle of School Year 2018-2019 – $20 a ticket! See form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5JGIzkUY_2VTFhVNWp6SDhHV1pfR1o4aXltN2pPR1BDMWFJ/view?usp=sharing
- Crawfish Crawl Contest – if you sign up to be part of the Crawfish Crawl put your child’s homeroom on the registration or send in confirmation from on-line and so your child’s homeroom can win a popsicle or popcorn treat!!!!
March 18, 2018 – St. Joseph Altar – students needed to assist with hospitality, elderly and young families, cleaning tables and emptying. Below is the schedule of work shifts
- 1st – 10:15am – 12:30pm
- 2nd – 12:30pm – 2:00pm
- 3rd – 2:00 pm – 4:00pm
- 4th – 4:00pm- till… Clean up and take down
Workers should report to me at the Family Life Center, 211 Atlantic Avenue, they will be given a badge to wear while they are volunteering and the Service Hour Sheets will be mailed out the next week to their adviser.
Are you looking for possible tuition assistance? Did you know that you can apply for an Arete Scholarship? This program costs you nothing and you might get funds to assist with tuition.
Application brochure can be downloaded HERE. Beginning tomorrow, February 27 at 9:00am, applications (grades K5-12) will be available at this website: AreteScholars.org. The current application deadline is April 30. No applications will be accepted after it closes!
SCHOOL LUNCH REMINDER
IT”S NEVER TOO LATE… It’s never too late within the school year to apply for Free & Reduced Meals; applications are being accepted. If your family income has been adversely affected by the economy, please pickup a Free & Reduced Meal Application in your school office. Or contact Associate Superintendent, Sr. Ann Middlebrooks, SEC (318) 219-7298.
Notice to all families: Please do not park in the teachers’ parking lot as our teachers need to park in those spots! Please use the church lot when picking up students. Thanks!
- Did your child earn an award for their extracurricular activities (swimming, soccer, horseback riding, 4H, etc)? Let us know so we can include them in the Falcon Forum, Yearbook or Facebook!E-mail Dr. McGimsey (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a brief description of the event, what prizes/awards were won and any pictures you took at the event.
- St. Joseph Catholic Church “Sowing” has limited advertising spots available. Any SJS family that has a business and wants to advertise can call Ray Kelly at the church office or his cell phone (504-338-3058).
- Tutoring grades 2-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:10-4:00 pm in the library. Students must have items to work on (not just homework) that Loyola students can assist the students. Make sure students know they are to go to tutoring and communicate this with homeroom teachers. Students not picked up by 4:00 pm will be sent to After School Care and charges will be applied to accounts.
- Protecting God’s Children (PGC) and VIRTUSBulletins – make sure you have taken PGC and remain current on VIRTUS bulletins as this is a requirement through the Diocese for participation for field trips, volunteering at the school, coaching, and/or other times being around students of SJS.
Announcement from the Diocese of Shreveport
The Diocese of Shreveport has set up an anonymous and completely confidential phone line for you to report instances of known or suspected misuse of parish, school or diocesan assets including fraud, excessive waste or abuse. The number is (318) 219-7222. This line goes directly to a voicemail that is addressed only to Bishop Duca. Call this number to report incidents and be assured that Bishop Duca will act on the information in a confidential manner to make positive changes.
Asbestos containing building materials are located within St. Joseph Catholic School. In their present condition, they present no hazard to school occupants. An Asbestos Management Plan has been developed to prevent the asbestos from becoming a hazard, and you may find this document on file in the school office. The plan is available for inspection upon request and appointment.
IPM Program – St. Joseph Catholic School participates in the Louisiana Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program. Please contact the school office if your child is hypersensitive to standard pest control products.